Saturday, May 15, 2010

Flying Over Katmai











This week, I got to fly over Katmai National Park in the park's Cessna 185 flown by our park pilot, Allen. It was the most amazing flight I've ever been on! I had a great view sitting right behind Allen. We flew over Brooks Camp, where I'll live this summer, and then we flew over the Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes. We turned around before reaching the huge volcanoes along Katmai's coast. I got to see the plug of Novarupta, where all of the magma, ash, and other volcanic stuff came out of the earth during the eruption of June 6, 1912 (the largest volcanic eruption of the twentieth century). That was really great! Other than that, I saw the huge valley of ash (600 - 700 ft. thick in some places), lots of snow-capped volcanoes/mountains, and two moose. I really enjoyed the flight. It was one of the best experiences of my life so far.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanette! This is great. I'm happy to see you are in such a beautiful place and taking this neat adventure. I look forward to keeping up! Talk to you soon,

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo Jeanetti!!! GORGEOUS! So glad you are having fantabulous time already. Hope you are meeting lots of nice folks/ fellow rangers and can't wait to hear and see more of this fantastic adventure you are on. The pictures have absolutely blown me away! Wow. Talk to you soon -

    Love,
    Leigh

    P.S. - the Blog is a GREAT idea!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ! Pictures are awesome ! I can't wait to see more. This blog is a great idea.
    Deb and Bob

    ReplyDelete