Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bears!





Hi friends,

Wow! Today was my most exciting day yet at Katmai! Bears are everywhere you look on the Brooks River! Today, I was working on the lower river viewing platform, which is at the mouth of the Brooks River. Working on this platform is like bear traffic control for the entire river mouth. I have to look out for bears and decide when to open and close the floating bridge to visitor traffic. Twice today a hoard of bears (10-15 bears) came crashing down the river looking for fish. They were all around the bridge - it was so exciting to watch! Several of them caught fish. They can catch fish so much better than I can - I am still learning! It was an amazing day! I also saw for the first time today a bear catch a leaping salmon at Brooks Falls. He didn't catch it in his jaws, but he sort of caught it with his paw and then bit into it. That was also pretty exciting, but I felt bad for the fish. I would not want to be that fish! I hope you enjoy the pictures.

3 comments: